Monday 14 May 2012

The Humble Lemon...

photo from Wikipedia

Where I am, it's approaching winter.  It's getting cold!  And unfortunately the cold brings sickness.  I'm doing everything possible to avoid it.  Well maybe not everything, but as much as I can.

My 'sister in-law' has been drinking what she calls hot lemon for a long time (she doesn't drink tea or coffee) and she hasn't had a sick day in almost a decade!  So I thought I'd give it a shot.  Really, what have I got to lose? 

I haven't asked how much lemon she uses, but I found about a quarter has worked for me. 

Basically, what I do is heat a mug of water up in my microwave for two minutes (or boil the kettle if I'm making more than one drink) and squeeze a quarter of a lemon into the hot water, then I drop the squeezed lemon into my drink.  I've taken to adding a teaspoon of honey to my drink, for the extra goodness it brings and for me it makes it slightly easier to drink.  That being said, if I don't have any honey, it's still drinkable without.  My better half drinks it without and so does my sister in-law.  It just depends on your personal preference.

I've been doing it every day (almost) and I have to say it has helped a lot!  Those times when I wake up all sniffly and on the verge of getting a cold, it pulls me back and stops me from going over into sickness.

I'm quite liking my little daily ritual and it's cheaper and better than taking tablets.  And I will continue this for as long as I can still get lemons!

Give it a try (especially when you feel like you're getting sick) and see what it does!

Eat well, drink well and stay well xoxo

Nb.  As stated the photo shown is not my own







No comments:

Post a Comment